Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball
Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond
expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts,
drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and
intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and
return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or
connect with us on LinkedIn , Facebook , Twitter or Instagram .
The Operations Strategic Support Unit plays a fundamental role in enabling
efficient business and program execution from technologies and investment
to supply chain, manufacturing and test operations, facilities management, and
information technology services.
Supply Chain Business Unit Manager – Tactical Solutions
The Supply Chain Business Unit Manager for the Tactical Solutions Business Unit
will be responsible for developing and maintaining a strong alignment between
the Supply Chain organization and the Tactical Solutions Business Unit,
ensuring SC requirements across the SBUs portfolio of programs and pursuits are
clearly understood, appropriately staffed and addressed in a manner which meets
or exceeds program expectations. This position is new to Ball Aerospace and
represents an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated, independent SC
professional to pilot this role for one of four Strategic Business Units, with
intent of enabling consistent, improved supply chain partnership with and
performance in support of SBU programs and pursuits. This position will be
responsible for partnering with peers across the Supply Chain and SBU to
develop clear supply chain strategies in support of pursuits / proposals,
ensure SC bids & performs to plan, and adapts to identified Risks &
Opportunities as appropriate in the course of program execution. A matrixed
resource, this position will functionally report directly to the Senior
Director of Supply Chain with dotted line accountability to the Vice President
of the Tactical Solutions Business Unit.
* Develop and implement the supply chain strategy which addresses the
entire supply chain life cycle from proposal/capture through sustainment
in support of the Tactical Solutions SBU of Ball Aerospace; a business
portfolio of low-moderate complexity in terms of program variety, size,
scope of requirements and volume of SC managed sales.
* Lead, train, and develop a team of supply chain managers responsible for
developing end-to-end supply chain strategies, coordinating resources,
overseeing and reporting status, resolving issues and generally ensuring
appropriate SC support is provided as needed to individual program and/or
proposal efforts across the Tactical Solutions portfolio of efforts.
* Enable end-to-end SC strategies across the SBU portfolio and proactive
supplier engagement strategies across the Corporation by partnering with
peers in SC, Manufacturing, Engineering and the PMO to support make/buy,
design for supply chain and technology roadmap initiatives.
* Serve as Supply Chain Management Leader and single point of contact
for the SBU/SC Leadership in tasks such as status of SC actions (i.e.
subcontract negotiations, BOM pricing, etc), supplier relationship/issue
resolution, long range program/proposal/IRAD supply base planning and
coordination of financial forecasting for SBU material sales.
* Assign or perform the role of the SC proposal lead responsible for
identifying, coordinating and presenting to SC leadership the complete SC
input (to include priced BOM, subcontract status, direct SC labor inputs,
etc) for review and approval prior to final submission to the program
and/or release of the proposal.
* Ensure that Supply Chain input to proposals, programs, and other
operations are compliant with regulatory requirements and conducted in
accordance with Ball Aerospace best practices.
* Keep apprised and provide regular status to SBU on all Supply Chain
aspects of a portfolio of proposals, programs, or other functions, even
those worked by Subcontract Leads and Managers, geographically dispersed
and/or co-located with other SBUs.
* Work with SCM and SBU/SC management to determine staffing requirements
and assign / hire appropriate staff to be engaged in the winning and
execution of on-going business and programs for Ball Aerospace and the ND
business area staff as required.
* Own the 3-5 year Supply Chain Strategy as it relates to this position;
develop the tactical continuous improvement plan specific to those
elements of the strategy associated with SC proposal and execution
* Partner with fellow SC, ITS and Operations Leaders to develop the
technology roadmap and KPI / metric reports required to measure and
effectively demonstrate the real time performance of SC on a program /
pursuit basis, and overall value-add this organization delivers to Ball
* Select, motivate, and counsel employees; administer salary and budget
programs; ensure employee safety; plan, organize, integrate and measure
work performed within the department.
* Resolve supply chain resource, personnel or general performance problems
with impacted parties internal or external to Ball Aerospace.
* Resolve business problems with Ball Aerospace SBU/SC management,
suppliers, or customer representatives; provide guidance to the same
regarding performance measurement and regulatory compliance.
* Possess effective leadership skills including program management, change
management, have a demonstrated ability to build and develop
organizational talent, and ability to operate effectively in a matrix
* Ensure that all business is conducted using the highest ethical standards
and in compliance with all applicable laws, statutes, and regulations as
well as company policies and directives.
* Manage the implementation of new or existing internal policies and
procedures; support SBU/SC-level requests and special projects in support
of continuous improvement.
* Understand business and program requirements and document cost, schedule,
and technical performance impacts of SC activity to Ball Aerospace
* Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
* Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the
department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the
Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a
positive and productive work environment.
* Perform other duties as necessary.
* BS/BA in related field plus 15 years or more related experience.
* Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master s Degree or Ph.D., may
substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may
be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university,
college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US
Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
* Demonstrated expertise in moderately complex business procedures and
strategies across the acquisition lifecycle, specifically within DoD and/
or with other US government agencies.
* Professional, demonstrated experience as the lead Supply Chain Manager
and/or Subcontract Manager for multiple proposals or programs in support
of DoD and/or other US Government customers.
* Professional experience and demonstrated expertise in US Government
Program Proposal Development, US Government purchasing / acquisitions,
and material handling.
* A working knowledge of standard tools, KPIs and processes required to
support and measure the value-add of the Supply Chain purchasing
organization (i.e. MRP, Invoicing, Forecasting, compliance, etc).
* Ability to act in a leadership capacity, provide vision to those
supervised, and guide diverse departments and employees to ever higher
levels of achievement.
* Ability to effectively relate with others and cooperate as a team member.
* Demonstrated expertise in aerospace industry and government contracting
and billing procedures.
* Ability to effectively interact with suppliers and external customers at
the highest levels.
* Strong and proven leadership skills.
* Demonstrated ability to build effective relationships at all levels of
* Demonstrated ability to mentor and develop high performance work teams.
* Extensive FAR/DFAR knowledge.
* Excellent interpersonal and organization skills.
* Excellent communication skills (both oral and written).
* Majority of career spent as team / organizational leader (SC Manager,
Material Program Manager, or similar role) in Aerospace & Defense Supply
Chain organization; 25% or more of career with Tier 1 Defense Contractor
(i.e. Raytheon, Lockheed Martin, Northrup Grumman, etc) preferred.
* Experience working development and production programs related to
electro-optical technologies, C4ISR, precision strike, air dominance,
and/or electronic warfare preferred.
* Experience working high rate, repeatable production programs within a
government regulated environment preferred.
* Recognized, formal industry certification in one or more of the
following: Program Management, Contract Management and/or Supply Chain
* Capture or proposal lead experience preferred.
* Demonstrated track record