Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 107,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries
Principal Software Engineer – St. Paul, MN
Leading an active lifestyle is important to the many people we serve. In Abbott’s Heart Failure division, we’re advancing the treatment of heart and vascular disease through breakthrough medical technologies in electrophysiology and heart failure, allowing people to restore their health and get on with their lives. WHAT YOU’LL DO
We are recruiting for a new Principal Software Engineer to join our team in the St. Paul, MN location. In this is a senior technical role, you will be expected to be a critical contributor to building compelling products within Abbott’s ElectroPhysiology Division. You will participate in the development and deployment of infrastructure systems and software architecture to improve our development programs. This includes the design, development, and document operating systems, networking and software delivery components for diagnostic and interventional cardiology devices, and participate in all phases of the software lifecycle, including concept development, requirements, design, implementation, and testing.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop requirement specifications, design, implementation and testing of operating system components including packaging, patching and installers for remote updates. Provide deliverables according to the EP Quality System as applicable.
- Work closely with cross-functional teams to identify and meet external and internal user needs. Provide technical assistance and troubleshooting as required to resolve issues with OS, installation, networking, peripherals management. (
- Install, integrate and enhance tools such as JIRA, Perforce, Coverity, Ansible, Docker, etc
- Make recommendations or justify critical technical decisions in product design. The decision should be based on broad investigation and testing.
- Document and transfer developed solutions to manufacturing team for mass production and provide technical support and sustaining development in launch phase.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Biomed Engineering, Software Engineering or related discipline
- 5+ years of software engineering design and/or operating systems administration
- 1+ year of experience providing technical leadership and/or mentorship
- Programming and Installer Creation Experience
- Networking experience
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with ability to effectively communicate with multiple levels in the organization
- Previous experience working in a matrixed and geographically diverse business environment
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and MS Project
- Advance level degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Biomed Engineering, Software Engineering or related discipline
- Medical device experience
- Advance level proficiency with C/C++ and/or Perl/Python/shell-scripting knowledge
- Other programming languages such as PHP, SQL, XML, XSL, HTML and communication protocols (TCP/IP, UPnP, Web Services, SOAP, CAN)
- Experience with monitoring operating system and network devices using tools like Grafana or SNMP based tools (RRD, Cacti, etc). Operating System (OS) security enhancements – Linux and Windows.
- Familiarity with automated testing frameworks and use of squish, python or similar software.
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully:
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at , on Facebook at and on